Ours is a journey, from growing heritage grains to processing and milling on site before ending with naturally leavened bread baked entirely by hand in a wood-fired oven.
Our mobile oven makes wonderful organic, sourdough, wood-fired pizzas at regional events and we run educational ‘field to loaf’ baking classes teaching time honoured ways of baking, growing and land stewardship.
Inspired by the well-established ‘Boulanger Paysanne’ model in France,
we aim to become the first ‘Peasant Bakery’ in the UK here in St Davids, Pembrokeshire, West Wales.
Join with us on a journey to make entirely hand made, wood-fired, sourdough bread stone milled from wheat we have grown, that is suited to our land and our climate, is higher in nutrients, has distinctive flavours and is made in a way which nourishes our bodies and our communities.
We work on a ‘Community-Supported Bakery’ model, which means we are owned and run by our members, the local community and they share the risks and rewards of production in a spirit of mutual trust and openness.
Let’s make bread & wheat healthy again & restore them to their rightful place at the heart of our tables & our communities.
Our Aims are as follows:
- To practice and promote community-supported baking and heritage cereal production in a spirit of solidarity and openness
- To widen access to artisan, sourdough bread and the skills needed to produce it.
- To demonstrate and teach the benefits of growing, processing, stone milling and baking heritage grains through the principles of agroecology and handmade, naturally leavened, wood fired bread.
- To engage members and the public in the whole process from field to loaf.
- To uphold the six pillars of food sovereignty:
- Focuses on food for people
- Values Food providers
- Localises food systems
- Puts control locally
- Builds knowledge and skills
- Works with nature
We are run by a team of six directors:
Rupert Dunn (Baker & Farmer)
Indre Eugenija Dunn (Pizzas)
Gerald Miles (Organic Farmer)
Julia Horton-Porwdrill (Local resident)
Katie Versluys (Finance)
Dave Kerrison (Overseeing Governance)
Torth y Tir is registered as a Community Benefit Society. This means we are
Owned and run by our members, who come from the local community.
Torth y Tir Ltd is registered with Cooperatives UK and the Financial Conduct Authority.